Thursday, April 23, 2015

Painting resin cast gems

I've been playing with resin casting lately, so I thought I'd post a few pictures on how different paints and colors can look on resin.
I've gotten a lot of questions about the Giorno buttons I've been making lately, and what kind of paint was used on them etc., so I'll be making another post soon talking more about them and the processes.

Today I figured I'd just show you some of the simple gems I've made, and come comments and thoughts about painting on resin!


So the first picture up there are the finished gems. The gems were painted with several metallic colors and two flat of nail polish. I personally really like the look of painting resin gems on the back rather than dying the gem itself, especially as nail polish often has a more lustrous look and tends to come in far more colors than metallic paint.

The gem mold that I got was very faceted, so I wasn't sure how they would turn out since I prefer more smooth gem shapes myself. However, I think they look great with the facets, and that the facets give more of a realistic anime feel to them. The lighter colors I think came out more anime looking than the darker colors, but that also might just be due to the gems themselves.

 
The more flat colors I painted just because I had some extra stars, and figured it'd be handy to have a reference, but they turned out pretty cute! They have a very candy like look to them.
I wish I had tried out some of the gems with the flat colors, but I suppose I'll have to test that out next time!


Here are the gems before being painted. They are made of simple polyester resin, and are pretty interesting even before being painted.
The resin itself didn't give me too much problems, and since the mold I used was a silicone one I bought, it was super easy getting them out.

Here are the backs while painting them!
Some I painted with thin layers, waiting until each of them dried, and some I poured on a thick layer, but I didn't notice any real big difference between the two.
I underestimated the drying time on them a little, so I would suggest leaving them alone for a few hours just to make sure you don't mess up the surface, as what ever flaws will show right through.


Thanks for reading till the end, hope this helped, and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have.

1 comment:

  1. Painting the inside of your home is a great way to give it a new, fresh look. Professional room painters are available to help you bring your vision to life while ensuring that the job is done correctly and efficiently.

    ReplyDelete